Tokio Kumagai


From the "Shoes to Eat" collection, by 1980's Japanese designer Tokio Kumagai (1948-1987), who studied at the prestigious Bunka Fashion College.

When I first saw these, I thought they were "art" not "design" (Does it matter? I guess maybe the difference is about mass production or something.)  Anyway, I have come to realize that I am a fan of surrealism, so they really caught my attention. They are made out of the fake foods that Japanese restaurants put in their windows.

I had a hard time finding many decent-quality photos of Kumagai creations, but a couple of other shoe styles that I saw include shoes that look like mice (hey Marc Jacobs) and shoes that look like shaved ice. Below is a watch design from 1980:


 (In)Decorous Taste is where the shoe image originates. There is some more info about Kumagai there, otherwise, info about him doesn't seem to be very well documented (in English, anyway).

No comments:

 
Pin It